(Washington, DC) — Americans could be self-isolating at home until May according the President’s latest coronavirus update on Sunday evening.The White House’s social distance recommendations are being extended through April 30th. President Trump said the peak of coronavirus deaths could hit in the next two weeks. He previously hoped that the country would be re-opened for business by Easter, April 12th. However, now he predicted that the country will be getting back on track by June 1st.Dr. Anthony Fauci says there could be up to 200,000 coronavirus deaths in the U.S.which currently has the most confirmed cases in the world. Currenty there are 141,812 confirmed cases and 2,475 deaths in the U.S. Keep track here.The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases added that the number of cases will go into the millions. On a more positive note, Dr. Fauci said there’s a window of opportunity to slow the spread of COVID-19 in parts of the country that don’t have that many cases yet.
Before the President decreed silk scarves are an acceptable alternative to face masks, Dr. Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force, donned a different drape around her shoulders at the administration’s nightly press briefings.Since her appointment on February 26, Dr. Birx has been setting a silky fashion trend as part of the 22-person team that makes up the Coronavirus Task Force.Since her appointment on February 26, Dr. Birx has become the fashion favorite of the COVID task force and American’s can’t wait to see her “scarf du jour” artfully knotted around her shoulders.Just last month, Washington Post fashion critic Robin Givhan wrote a story in praise of her lovely foulards. And more recently, an Instagram account has appeared chronicling each of the pretty silk squares.The scarf account was created by Victoria Strout, a fashion-obsessed music marketing executive from Fort Worth.The account known as @deborahbirxscarves has a simple format. Each post is populated with a slideshow offering various vantage points onto one of the doctor’s many scarves. The captions are straightforward, providing the date of the scarf’s appearance and, if known, its label. “Me and a couple of friends would watch each press conference and talk about Dr. Birx’s latest scarf,” says Strout.“So one Sunday afternoon I thought, You know what, I’m just going to compile all the screenshots I’ve taken on Instagram.”So why does this all matter? Perhaps it’s because Dr. Birx’s affinity for scarves speaks to a collective nostalgia.FLOTUS Jackie Kennedy sported her babushka-style head wrappings on weekends in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. A typical Dr. Birx look consists of a prim dress, hosiery, and a waist-cinching belt; she ties the whole look together with a literal bow via her silken scarf which elegantly gives a nod to history.
Jupiter police have arrested the 18-year old son of former U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney after they said he spray-painted “B.L.M.” on the sign at Trump National Golf Club.“B.L.M” is abbreviation for the “Black Lives Matter” movement.Thomas Joseph J. Rooney was booked into the county jail early Tuesday. According to the arrest report, Rooney told Jupiter police he did it “because of unequal treatment in the justice system.”He faces one misdemeanor count of criminal mischief causing property damage of $200 or less, according to court records.Rooney is scheduled to appear in Palm Beach County court for a July 29 arraignment.
6 Jan 2014 Chesters can secure a win double in Colombia European Amateur champion Ashley Chesters (Hawkstone Park, Shropshire & Herefordshire) has the chance to conquer another Continent later this month. The 24 year old has been selected along with Paul Howard (Southport & Ainsdale, Lancashire), Nick Marsh (Huddersfield, Yorkshire) and Jimmy Mullen (Royal North Devon) to contest the South American Amateur Championship at Barranquilla County Club in Colombia on 22nd – 25th January, an event supported by The R&A since 2005. Chesters (image copyright Tom Ward Photography) won the European title by one stroke from Spain’s David Morago at El Prat last August. So his selection means the England international, who finished eighth on the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Order of Merit last year, has the chance to emulate Callum Shinkwin, now a professional, who brought the South American crown back to England a year ago. Howard made his full England debut in last year’s winning Home Internationals team at Ganton, which capped a successful 2013 for the 23 year old. He finished fifth in the Welsh Open Stroke Play Championship and equal ninth in the St Andrews Links Trophy and helped Lancashire win the County Championship, winning five of his six games. Marsh also made his full England debut at Ganton having reached the quarter finals of the Amateur Championship and finished tied fifth in the Chiberta Grand Prix in France. The 19 year old also finished runner-up in the North of England Youths and the Welsh Open Youths Championships and was ninth on the EG 2013 Order of Merit. Mullen, 20, was another England debutant at Ganton in a season in which he lost a playoff for the Bernard Darwin Salver, finished tied third in the Brabazon Trophy, achieving a hole-in-one during the final round, and equal fourth in the South East of England Links Championship. Like Howard, he won five of his six games during the County Championship finals at Minchinhampton representing Devon. The South American Amateur Championship is a 72-hole stroke play event.
Facebook5Tweet0Pin0Just three weeks left to sign up for Arts Walk! Registration forms for artists and downtown businesses participating in Arts Walk XLIV are now available at The Olympia Center, 222 Columbia St. NW, online at www.olympiawa.gov/artswalk or by calling Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation at 360/753-8380. Deadline for registration is 7pm, Friday, February 10, 2012. Sponsored by Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation and the Olympia Arts Commission, Arts Walk attracts over 15,000 visitors to celebrate the arts in downtown Olympia. Spring Arts Walk dates are Friday, April 27, 5-10pm, and Saturday, April 28, 12-8pm.
Facebook45Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Providence Health and ServicesDr. Joyce GilbertJoyce Gilbert, M.D., has been named the medical director of the Providence Sexual Assault Clinic and Child Maltreatment Center in Lacey, and serves children and families in a five-county area. Dr. Gilbert replaces Deborah Hall, M.D., who is retiring after leading the clinic since its inception in 1991 and has been a vocal advocate and champion for children.Dr. Gilbert joins Providence from Sandpoint, Idaho, where she has been a pediatrician specializing in child abuse for 29 years. In her Idaho private practice, she says, “I handled all child abuse exams for a two-county area, worked with the multidisciplinary teams, and provided court testimony for these cases.”She received her medical degree from the University of Iowa, where she also completed her residency. She is also a clinical associate professor in the Department of Pediatrics at University of Washington and has been teaching medical students and residents for the past 15 years.“I feel like I’ve been training for this job for 29 years,” says Dr. Gilbert. “I’m just so excited.”The Sexual Assault Clinic is co-located with partnering organizations including Monarch Children’s Justice and Advocacy Center, and Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney’s Special Victim Team. Together with other partners, they hold multidisciplinary meetings.“Multidisciplinary meetings provide communication and expert care for the kids every step of the way,” says Dr. Gilbert. “Being able to communicate very openly with health and welfare, law enforcement, prosecutors, is really what aids the kids, and helps get the best outcome.”In addition to serving children who are sexually or physically abused, Dr. Gilbert will also be serving as a pediatric hospitalist at Providence St. Peter Hospital, working with St. Peter Hospital’s therapy program for drug-affected newborns, seeing patients on the pediatric unit, and consulting on pediatric cases in the emergency center.About the Sexual Assault ClinicFounded in 1991, Providence St. Peter Hospital Sexual Assault Clinic and Child Maltreatment Center provides medical services to children who are victims of sexual or physical abuse. The clinic is the only facility of its kind in the region and serves a five-county area that is primarily rural. The Sexual Assault Clinic receives patient referrals from law enforcement, Child Protective Services and area medical providers. The clinic has long been an innovative leader in providing caring and quality services to victims of sexual abuse. The program is supported by donations to Providence St. Peter Foundation.
Facebook118Tweet0Pin0Submitted by United way of Thurston County and Community Foundation of South Puget SoundCommunity Foundation of South Puget Sound and United Way of Thurston County (UWTC) have partnered to establish the Thurston County COVID-19 Response Fund. The Fund is designed to complement the work of public health officials and expand local capacity to address all aspects of the outbreak as efficiently as possible. Together, UWTC and the Community Foundation will gather data to identify emerging needs, as well as gaps in existing services, and work to rapidly mobilize and deploy resources to the people who are most vulnerable to the economic impacts of COVID-19 in Thurston County.The Thurston County COVID-19 Response Fund will provide funds to assist the most disproportionately impacted individuals and families, as well as certain organizations in our community who are serving those populations.UWTC and the Community Foundation will be working closely with local governments, public health and emergency management officials, and community leaders to be nimble in our response and to be able to quickly adapt to evolving needs throughout the outbreak and recovery phases of this crisis.“This fund will allow us to provide support for the people in our region who are disproportionately impacted by coronavirus and the economic consequences of this outbreak,” said Mindie Reule, President and CEO of the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound. “And our partnership with United Way of Thurston County demonstrates the collaborative, unified response that is needed at this time.”“In order for our community to successfully navigate the potentially devastating impacts of COVID-19, strong partnerships are absolutely essential,” said Chris Wells, Executive Director of United Way of Thurston County. “This collaboration between the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound and United Way of Thurston County will enable us to move quickly and strategically to serve the people who are most vulnerable in this crisis.”UWTC and the Community Foundation are accepting donations to the Thurston County COVID-19 Response Fund. Donations can be made online at https://www.unitedway-thurston.org/covid-19Individual and corporate gifts can also be made in person or by mail at either United Way of Thurston County, located at 3525 7th Ave SW Suite 201, Olympia, WA 98502, or the Community Foundation at 212 Union Ave SE, Olympia, WA 98501.Please direct all media inquiries to: Chris Wells, Executive Director, United Way of Thurston County: (352) 316-0666, CWells@unitedway-thurston.org OR Mindie Reule, President and CEO, Community Foundation of South Puget Sound: (206) 818-7472.
“I think we all have a desire to get more people on our Jersey beaches,” Long said.“The biggest concern is parking,” said Lillian G. Burry, a member of the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders, who also attended the Oct. 6 meeting.Long hosted the meeting to see who was interested in improving beach access. The meeting also was attended by representatives of the county and American Littoral Society, an environmental group based at Sandy Hook. Story and photo by Joseph SapiaSea Bright and the National Park Service are looking into ways to improve access via a shuttle service to parking lot-challenged beaches in the borough and Sandy Hook.Sea Bright Mayor Dina Long said she and Pete McCarthy, coordinator of the Park Service’s Sandy Hook Unit of the Gateway National Recreation Area are looking into possible parking areas from which to run the shuttle. But it is in the early stages and probably would require a third partner to run the shuttle, Long said.William D. Kastning, executive director of the Monmouth Conservation Foundation, said both a drive-to and boat-to shuttle are being considered.Kastning, McCarthy and Long were among the attendees participating in an Oct. 6 meeting at Sea Bright Borough Hall, where these ideas were discussed. Sea Bright’s Atlantic Ocean beach has no parking area, limiting its potential use. It abuts the south end of Sandy Hook, which often has to close access on summer mornings because its parking areas are full.Sandy Hook has about 4,200 parking spaces that provide direct access to beaches there, McCarthy said. Another 700 or so parking spaces are associated with Fort Hancock and administrative uses, McCarthy said.“We need to look at alternative ways to get into the park beyond driving,” McCarthy said.The Sea Bright beach is approximately 9,800 feet long, or almost 2 miles, said Jenna M. Cosimo, director of acquisitions for the Conservation Foundation.This beach is disconnected by private property from the borough’s public beach in the downtown area. Parking is at a premium during the summer in Sea Bright because it is a heavily developed spit between the ocean and Shrewsbury River.
By The Nelson Daily SportsCalling all young and energetic curlers.The Capital One Rocks & Rings program is expanding to the Kootenays in an effort to introduce the sport of curling in an off-ice environment to Nelson and area youth. The Nelson Curling Club enjoys the unique position of being the first club outside the Lower Mainland in British Columbia to acquire the rights to the program. This new program exposes curling to children and families that would otherwise not receive the opportunity, with the ultimate goal being increased participation in the sport. Using unique floor curling equipment, students experience a high-energy, fun-filled session while learning about the sport in their school’s gymnasium. With each elementary school visit, the Capital One Rocks & Rings program reaches six to seven classes or approximately 150 to 200 students. Upon completion, each student receives a graduation certificate and program souvenir. For further information on this program email email@example.com or visit www.nelsoncurling.com. firstname.lastname@example.org
Grace Dehnel and Shianne Michalchuk with a pair scored to lead the Kootenay Reps to the victory.Nelson, a combined squad from the 2016 Provincial B U16 Girls Champs and the Silver Medal U18 squad from the Heritage City, now meets Burnaby Girls Impact Friday at 11 a.m. The Impact lost 1-0 to VUFC Wolfpack.The Selects opened the scoring 27 minutes into the game when the SurDel goalie collided with Nelson striker Taylor Zimmer. The ball hit the goal post following the collision. The keeper was handed a yellow card before Dehnel calmly stepped up to deposit the free kick into the net.Nelson increased the lead to 2-0 when the play appeared to stop. Michalchuk continued on, dribbling the ball through the defence before scoring in the net.The Selects made it 3-0 when Emma Wheeldon sent Michalchuk in on a nice pace the Nelson player was able to deposit into the net.In other Nelson action in Surrey, the U13 Selects shutout Terrace 2-0 while the U16 squad lost to Prince George Timberwolves 3-1.Nelson U16 squad meets Coquitlam Metro Ford while the U13s play Bays United.The top teams in each pool of four teams advances to the Gold Medal Game Sunday.Meanwhile, in Vernon, the U13 Boy’s scored a 2-1 victory over Terrace to open the Les Sinnott Memorial Provincial B Cup Thursday in Vernon.Berend Platje, on a great pass from Tavish Cutler, netted the winner for Nelson at the 30-minute mark of the first half.Milo Klein also scored for Nelson while Noah Ens was solid between the pipes for the Selects.Terrace scored its only goal on a penalty kick. Nelson controlled most of the game, outshooting Terrace 23-5.Next up for Nelson is a game this afternoon at 5 p.m. against South Burnaby Spartans. Nelson U18 Selects are playing for gold medal after finishing the round robin draw off at the BC Soccer Provincial B Cup Saturday in Surrey with a 1-1 against Vancouver Football Club.Stellar goalkeeping by Hanna Quinn and a goal by Mattea Lorenzo powered Nelson to the thrilling tie.Vancouver opened the scoring four minutes into the contest despite Nelson controlling the play.The Selects tied the game before halftime after after a nice through ball by Emma Wheeldon to Taylor Zimmer who puts it off the post with a nice shot. Lorenzo was able to pounce on the loose ball to score Nelson’s only marker.Both teams took turns controlling the play in the second half with the Nelson defence, including Quinn, comimg up big to secure the single point.Quinn made two timely saves, one with 10 minutes left.Nelson, finishing in a tie with Vancouver, each with seven points, meets Penticton or Prince George in the final. Game time is 2 p.m. Nelson edge out the Lower Mainland squad on goal differential, keyed by a 5-0 victory over Burnaby Friday.Zimmer and Shianne Michalchuk paced the attack for Nelson with a pair of goals. Wheeldon added a single.Selects open with wins over SurDel, Terrace at Provincial B Cup; U13 Boys win in VernonThe Nelson Selects kicked off the BC Soccer Provincial B Cup in grand style Thursday, outlasting the host SurDel squad 3-1 in the opening round of the U18 Girls Championships Thursday in Surrey.