Department stars

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Two Australian schools close as coronavirus cases jump

first_img“This is likely to be the new norm,” said Brad Hazzard the minister of health for New South Wales state.The school closures come days after another high school in Sydney shut down when a 16-year-old there tested positive.Epping Boys High School reopened on Monday though nearly 70 students and staff who had close contact with the infected student remained in self-isolation.The coronavirus has infected 107,000 people around the world in an ever-growing list of countries and caused hefty economic damage, prompting central banks to ease monetary policies. Two schools in the Australian city of Sydney closed on Monday after three students tested positive for the coronavirus, taking Australia’s tally of cases to more than 80 as the government prepares a fiscal stimulus to ward off recession.Australia has seen a worrying increase in coronavirus cases in the past couple of days, though Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said the majority were travellers who caught the virus abroad, with only one instance of community transmission.Two year-10 students at Sydney’s St Patrick’s Marist College Dundas had tested positive for the virus while a year-7 pupil tested positive at the Willoughby Girls High School. Three people have died in Australia.”This is a public health emergency of an unprecedented nature that our nation and that the entire global community is facing,” the health minister of Victoria state, Jenny Mikakos, told a televised briefing.Her state also recorded a jump in the number of cases after two people who recently arrived from the United States and one who returned from Iran were diagnosed as infected with the virus.”We do anticipate that this likely pandemic will have significant impacts on our health system. This has been my absolute focus, making sure that our system is prepared to respond,” Mikakos said.Worries about the hit to the economy saw nearly A$108 billion ($70.5 billion) wiped off Australian shares in yet another day of panic selling in global financial markets.Fiscal re-think? The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) last week became the first in the developed world to ease monetary policy to fight the economic fallout.The government is finalising a fiscal stimulus package though the size of the measure is not known.An announcement on the likely A$10 billion package is expected this week, media reported.Economists are less optimistic about the scale of the stimulus.Citi economist Josh Williamson expects an initial package of A$3 billion to A$5 billion, or about 0.1% of Australia’s gross domestic product.”Such a package would be designed to offset the expected loss of output, rather than deliver a material boost to activity that closes the negative output gap that existed prior to COVID-19,” he added, referring to the illness caused by the virus.”If the broader economy is impacted more severely than currently assumed, then the government could be forced to rethink its fiscal strategy in May, that is, abandon hopes of a near-term budget surplus and bring forward other stimulatory measures.”Topics :last_img read more

Facebook labels state-controlled media posts, will block ads

first_imgFacebook said it consulted “more than 65 experts around the world specializing in media, governance, and human rights and development” to establish its policy on state media.The move comes with Facebook under scrutiny for failing for stem foreign interference in the 2016 US election, and amid heated debate over how the social network handles misinformation and inflammatory posts, including from US President Donald Trump.Facebook is also in the process of setting up a “supreme court” or oversight board to make binding determinations on content removal. Facebook later this year will begin adding similar labels to ads by such news outlets, blocking them entirely ahead of the US presidential election in November “to provide an extra layer of protection against various types of foreign influence in the public debate,” according to Gleicher.Facebook’s definition of state-controlled media includes influence over editorial content as well as financial backing of outlets, he explained.Labels will appear globally in Facebook’s advertising library and on pages. In the US, labels will also appear on posts in News Feeds at the leading social network, according to Gleicher.”If we determine that there are enough protections in place to ensure editorial independence, we will not apply the label,” Gleicher said. Facebook on Thursday began labeling media organizations whose editorial calls may be under the influence of governments and said ads from those outlets would be blocked later this year.The social network is following through on a previously announced plan to label state-controlled news publishers, according to Facebook head of cybersecurity policy Nathaniel Gleicher.”We believe people should know if the news they read is coming from a publication that may be under the influence of a government,” Gleicher said in a blog post.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Remarks by Governor Wolf at Overdose Reversal Milestone Recognition

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Remarks,  Substance Use Disorder,  Videos Pennsylvania Police Overdose Reversal Milestone RecognitionHarrisburg, PA Remarks by Governor Wolf at Overdose Reversal Milestone Recognition Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf June 14, 2016last_img

​NBIM calls for harmonised EU supply chain due diligence approach

first_imgNorway’s oil fund is calling on the European Commission to harmonise the approach to supply chain due diligence in Europe as part of a planned renewed sustainable finance strategy.In its response to the Commission’s consultation on the strategy, which ends next week, the manager of Norway’s NOK10.3trn (€963bn) sovereign wealth fund said: “It would be helpful to have a European harmonised approach to supply chain due diligence, that would implement international standards in a consistent manner, thereby ensuring a level-playing field for companies operating in the Single Market.”In its letter, NBIM’s chief corporate governance officer Carine Smith Ihenacho and Séverine Neervoort, senior analyst, corporate governance wrote that the subsidiary of the Norwegian central bank had an inherent interest in how companies managed their use of natural and social resources and addressed supply chain risks.This could have a bearing on their ability to create financial value, the pair said. Firms should understand the broader consequences of their operations on society and the environment, they said.“They should have an adequate supply chain management system in place, including policies and measures for detecting, preventing and responding to environmental and human right risks in their supply chain,” Smith Ihenacho and Neervoort wrote.NBIM also made suggestions about EU harmonisation in two other areas — corporate sustainability reporting and the shareholder voting process.On corporate sustainability reporting, it said investors required more information from companies about their risk exposure and management, in order to better integrate environmental and social risks into financial decision-making.In their final point, concerning shareholder voting, the NBIM pair also reiterated concerns expressed in other consultations, telling the Commission investors needed to be able to vote at company meetings in all markets, but that Norges Bank had encountered obstacles in the past due to manual processes, a lack of standardisation and diverging rules.“We would thus welcome further harmonisation of rules, for instance regarding the cut-off date, the timing between the receipt of the meeting’s materials and the deadline to cast votes, as well as the introduction of automatic vote confirmation (not solely on request),” they wrote.Looking for IPE’s latest magazine? Read the digital edition here.last_img read more

Shelbyville man airlifted following Brookville Lake incident

first_imgBrookville, In. — Indiana Conservation Department officers rescued a Shelbyville man from Brookville Lake after being submerged for about 15 minutes Monday.Emergency workers responded around 2:38 p.m. and found other swimmers recovered the body of Fernando Julian, 21, and pulled him to shore.Julian was treated at the scene by EMS and airlifted to University of Cincinnati Hospital. His condition is not available.The incident remains under investigation.last_img

WTT signs strategic partnership with IMG

first_imgWorld Table Tennis (WTT) is delighted to announce it has entered into a broad, long-term strategic partnership with IMG, a global leader in sports, fashion, events, and media. The extensive alliance, which commences in January 2021, includes global media rights development and distribution, production oversight of WTT events, betting data and streaming rights for IMG Arena, non-exclusive sponsorship representation, as well as the general mandate to grow the sport of table tennis globally. The events covered by the deal will include the World Table Tennis Championships and all tiers of the revamped WTT event structure: Grand Smashes, WTT Cup Finals, WTT Champions Series and WTT Contenders Series. In January 2021, WTT will launch its new WTT Series, a totally revamped competition which will radically change the sport and its perception. Supporting the WTT Series, an innovative commercial strategy will be implemented, controlling content production and enabling digital engagement with fans around the world as well as factoring in best practices and latest consumer trends.Advertisement Loading… Liu Guoliang, WTT Council Chair, stated: “We are very excited to have IMG on board this historic journey to help us professionalize and commercialize table tennis throughout the world, and I look forward to our joint efforts to develop the global game to greater new heights.” Steve Dainton, ITTF CEO and WTT Director, declared: “The World Table Tennis era will revolutionize the sport forever and we are delighted to be welcoming on board an industry powerhouse in IMG, whose wealth of expertise will help us to make this historic transformation for table tennis. This is fantastic news for the sport, the players, the fans, the host cities, the commercial partners and everyone who will be joining us on this exciting journey.” Adam Kelly, Co-President of Media & Events at IMG, also underlined the bright future that lies in wait for table tennis: “This is an exciting partnership at a key stage in the commercial redefinition of table tennis, through WTT, around the world. We share the vision that the ITTF and WTT have for the sport over the coming years and believe our energy, creativity and expertise on a global scale will add true value across all aspects of the WTT business.”read also:Video: Recuperating Abia Governor, Ikpeazu, engages Dr. Achilihu in a table tennis exerciseHe added: “In addition, we are already looking at opportunities to involve other parts of the wider Endeavor network, to further enhance the commercial value and consumer offering for table tennis. We look forward to continuing to build upon this strategic relationship, by adding more services that help to reinvent the sport.” The innovative partnership is structured in a way that allows both partners to work openly and collaboratively to develop all the commercial rights of WTT and to ensure the global growth of table tennis. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest PocketBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemSuperhero Castings That People Hated But Were Amazing8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtGorgeous Asian Actresses All Men Are Crazy AboutA Lot More People Should See Hanna’s Fantastic Bread MasterpiecesCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Bodylast_img read more

McIlroy regrets Classic withdrawal

first_img McIlroy claimed he was “in a bad place mentally” after pulling out of the defence of his title midway through his second round, but later released a statement to say a sore wisdom tooth was the reason for his early exit. The world number one had played the opening eight holes of his round in seven over par, before finding a water hazard on the 18th and immediately quitting the tournament. He concedes, in hindsight, he made a mistake, telling Sports Illustrated: “It was a reactive decision.” Press Association He added: “What I should have done is take my drop, chip it on, try to make a five and play my hardest on the back nine, even if I shot 85. “What I did was not good for the tournament, not good for the kids and the fans who were out there watching me – it was not the right thing to do.” McIlroy has 14 days from the date of the withdrawal to submit written evidence to the PGA Tour to support his claim of medical grounds, with a fine or suspension possible if the body is not satisfied with his explanation. It was his first ever withdrawal from a tournament as a professional, but follows on from losing in the first round of the Accenture Match Play Championship to Shane Lowry and missing the cut in the Abu Dhabi Championship in his first event since signing a lucrative deal with Nike. The Northern Irishman, who is scheduled to play in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral this weekend, has dismissed suggestions his poor form is down to his change in equipment. He added: “The driver and the ball took some time to get used to, but I had weeks at Nike before the start of the year, and I feel comfortable with all the equipment. “The problem is, I’m bringing the club too upright on the backswing then dropping it in too much on the downswing.” center_img Rory McIlroy has admitted withdrawing from the Honda Classic last week was “not the right thing to do”.last_img read more

Swans swoop for Meade

first_img Meade, 20, came through the youth ranks at Arsenal and started in the Champions League group game away to Olympiacos in December 2012, before leaving the Emirates Stadium in the summer at the end of his contract. The defender, who has signed a one-year deal at the Liberty Stadium, will initially train with the under-21s as he looks to force his way into contention for Michael Laudrup’s first-team plans. “I have been at Arsenal since I was 11, so to come to Swansea was the perfect move for me in terms of style,” Meade said on the club’s official website, www.swanseacity.net. “Swansea are a growing club and they’ve come from League Two by passing their way out of the divisions. “I think everyone has been very impressed by what they have achieved in the Premier League, and it’s great to be a part of the club. “The people in the area are very welcoming and I know it’s a family club too, which is great. “My aim is to start impressing in the Under-21s team and hopefully give Michael Laudrup another option at left-back for the first team. “He was a great player and the chance to learn from him is a massive opportunity for me. “The manager is not afraid to give youngsters a chance to prove themselves either. You only have to look at what Ben Davies achieved last season to realise that.” Swansea, who will compete in Europe next season following their Capital One Cup victory at Wembley, last week confirmed the signing of Ivory Coast international forward Wilfried Bony for a club-record £12million from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, to further bolster the squad following the arrival of Alejandro Pozuelo and Jonjo Shelvey. Swansea have signed former Arsenal left-back Jernade Meade on a free transfer, subject to international clearance and approval from the Barclays Premier League.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

City swoop for Jovetic

first_img The Serie A club confirmed reaching an agreement with City for the transfer of the Montenegro international, who scored 40 goals in 134 appearances for the Viola, and now the versatile forward has agreed terms at the Etihad Stadium. A statement published on mcfc.co.uk read: “Manchester City are delighted to announce the signing of Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina. The 23-year-old Montenegro international will now join up with his new team-mates over the weekend.” Press Association Manchester City have completed the signing of Montenegrin striker Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina for an undisclosed fee.last_img read more