Phil Lesh & Friends just announced the ensemble’s lineup for the upcoming two-night run at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York, across May 26th and 27th. The run constitutes the Grateful Dead’s bassist’s 68th and 69th shows since 2012, and is bound to be something special. For their first performance on May 26th, Lesh will be joined by Karl Denson (Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe), Robert Randolph, Jackie Greene, Ross James, Jason Crosby, Tony Leone, and Alex Koford. On Saturday night, Karl Denson, Robert Randolph, Ross James, Jason Crosby, Tony Leone, and Alex Koford will return to the Capitol with Lesh, along with Neal Casal subbing in for Jackie Green on guitar. Tickets for the show at the legendary venue are available here, and the full lineups for each night can be viewed below.[Photo courtesy of Andrew Blackstein]
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
(Washington, DC) — Americans could be self-isolating at home until May according the President’s latest coronavirus update on Sunday evening.The White House’s social distance recommendations are being extended through April 30th. President Trump said the peak of coronavirus deaths could hit in the next two weeks. He previously hoped that the country would be re-opened for business by Easter, April 12th. However, now he predicted that the country will be getting back on track by June 1st.Dr. Anthony Fauci says there could be up to 200,000 coronavirus deaths in the U.S.which currently has the most confirmed cases in the world. Currenty there are 141,812 confirmed cases and 2,475 deaths in the U.S. Keep track here.The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases added that the number of cases will go into the millions. On a more positive note, Dr. Fauci said there’s a window of opportunity to slow the spread of COVID-19 in parts of the country that don’t have that many cases yet.
“I think we all have a desire to get more people on our Jersey beaches,” Long said.“The biggest concern is parking,” said Lillian G. Burry, a member of the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders, who also attended the Oct. 6 meeting.Long hosted the meeting to see who was interested in improving beach access. The meeting also was attended by representatives of the county and American Littoral Society, an environmental group based at Sandy Hook. Story and photo by Joseph SapiaSea Bright and the National Park Service are looking into ways to improve access via a shuttle service to parking lot-challenged beaches in the borough and Sandy Hook.Sea Bright Mayor Dina Long said she and Pete McCarthy, coordinator of the Park Service’s Sandy Hook Unit of the Gateway National Recreation Area are looking into possible parking areas from which to run the shuttle. But it is in the early stages and probably would require a third partner to run the shuttle, Long said.William D. Kastning, executive director of the Monmouth Conservation Foundation, said both a drive-to and boat-to shuttle are being considered.Kastning, McCarthy and Long were among the attendees participating in an Oct. 6 meeting at Sea Bright Borough Hall, where these ideas were discussed. Sea Bright’s Atlantic Ocean beach has no parking area, limiting its potential use. It abuts the south end of Sandy Hook, which often has to close access on summer mornings because its parking areas are full.Sandy Hook has about 4,200 parking spaces that provide direct access to beaches there, McCarthy said. Another 700 or so parking spaces are associated with Fort Hancock and administrative uses, McCarthy said.“We need to look at alternative ways to get into the park beyond driving,” McCarthy said.The Sea Bright beach is approximately 9,800 feet long, or almost 2 miles, said Jenna M. Cosimo, director of acquisitions for the Conservation Foundation.This beach is disconnected by private property from the borough’s public beach in the downtown area. Parking is at a premium during the summer in Sea Bright because it is a heavily developed spit between the ocean and Shrewsbury River.
By The Nelson Daily SportsCalling all young and energetic curlers.The Capital One Rocks & Rings program is expanding to the Kootenays in an effort to introduce the sport of curling in an off-ice environment to Nelson and area youth. The Nelson Curling Club enjoys the unique position of being the first club outside the Lower Mainland in British Columbia to acquire the rights to the program. This new program exposes curling to children and families that would otherwise not receive the opportunity, with the ultimate goal being increased participation in the sport. Using unique floor curling equipment, students experience a high-energy, fun-filled session while learning about the sport in their school’s gymnasium. With each elementary school visit, the Capital One Rocks & Rings program reaches six to seven classes or approximately 150 to 200 students. Upon completion, each student receives a graduation certificate and program souvenir. For further information on this program email [email protected] or visit www.nelsoncurling.com. [email protected]
CALIFORNIA-BRED WARREN’S VENEDA SKIMS RAIL AND WINS $75,000 PASEANA STAKES BY 5 ½ LENGTHS; WARREN HOMEBRED SCORES FOR BAZE, LEWIS
ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 11, 2015)–Warren’s Veneda shot through an opening at the rail turning for home and went on to a 5 ½ length in Sunday’s $75,000 Paseana Stakes at Santa Anita, as she covered a mile and a sixteenth on a wet fast track in 1:42.97 under Tyler Baze.Trained by Craig Lewis, the 5-year-old California-bred mare avenged a head defeat to Tiz Midnight on Dec. 6 in the Grade II Bayakoa Stakes at Los Alamitos. (Tiz Midnight, who was off at 3-5, ended up sixth in the field of seven older fillies and mares).“This mare is really handy,” said Lewis, who sent her out to her sixth win from 20 starts. “Tyler told me that he wanted to lay a little closer to the pace today, and I thought maybe she should be further back. He told me when he cut her loose, it was over. She’s feeling good right now and she’s just a hard-trying mare.”Owned by her breeder, Benjamin Warren, Warren’s Veneda was the second choice in the wagering at 4-1 and paid $10.40, $4.60 and $3.40. By Affirmative and out of the Flying Continental mare More Cal Bread, Warren’s Veneda picked up $60,600 for the win, increasing her earnings to $467,612.“I had the perfect trip, said Baze, who was sitting a close fifth past the five furlong pole. “I wanted to keep her a little closer then I was at Los Alamitos last time out. According to the conditions, it seems like speed has been holding all day, so I just kind of rode her to them and she just tries so hard. She gives me everything she’s got every time she runs. It’s amazing to have a nice filly like that.”Runner-up Taste Like Candy, ridden by Kent Desormeaux, finished three quarters of a length in front of Valiant Emilia and paid $6.20 and $3.60.“I had to change tactics, the mud changes all tactics,” said Desormeaux. “You try to get close to the lead to keep the mud out of their face.”Off at 14-1 and ridden by Rafael Bejarano, Valiant Emilia sat second behind fractions of 22.80, 46.42 and 1:10.78. She finished 5 ¼ lengths in front of early pacesetter Legacy and paid $6.80 to show.Racing resumes on Thursday, as Santa Anita will embark upon a five-day race week, culminating with the Martin Luther King Jr., Holiday on Monday. First post time on Thursday is at 1 p.m.
(Image: Chris Kirchhoff,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com image library)MEDIA CONTACTS• Nicky OmarUmhlaba Development Services+27 11 482 [email protected] ARTICLES• A legacy of harmony and pride• Out of Africa, something new• Top marks for SA’s World Cup• SA ablaze as World Cup wraps up• Vuvuzelas conquer the world!Mary AlexanderLess than a week after the end of the 2010 Fifa World Cup, a survey has found that 99% of South Africans did a good job in hosting the tournament, and 97% are “more proud” to be South African.The survey, conducted telephonically among households in Gauteng by Umhlaba Development Services, aimed to establish how much people in the province participated in the event, and whether this participation would have a lasting impact on the social consciousness and identity of South Africans.Some 38% of respondents said they or their families had benefitted directly from the World Cup, with 9% receiving financial benefits. A full 94% felt that hosting the World Cup would confer lasting benefits for South Africa as a whole.Regarding national and continental solidarity and pride, 88% of those surveyed said the World Cup had given them a better understanding of the various cultures, traditions and histories of different South African population and of Africans from other countries on the continent.Just under 20% of survey participants said they had watched all 64 World Cup games, and almost half – 47% – watched most of the games. Only 1% did not watch any World Cup matches.Most South Africans seem to have avoided the World Cup hangover predicted by local media, with a full 73% of respondents saying they did not feel sad, lethargic or depressed after the World Cup ended.“The citizens of Gauteng are proud and the perceptions of South Africans of their own country have become more positive,” Umhlaba Development Services said in a statement. A near-perfect 99% of those surveyed said South Africa had done a good job in hosting the World Cup, and 97% said they were more proud to be South African than they had been before the tournament. About 91% said the World Cup had given South Africans a greater sense of national unity.Regarding the sport itself, 89% of respondents said the World Cup had made them more likely to support the national squad Bafana Bafana, and local football in general, while 80% said it had “met or exceeded” their expectations.The survey also revealed that 98% of respondents that the World Cup had made an “important and positive” contribution to nation building, 97% said it had contributed to growing South Africa’s economy, 98% said it had contributed to infrastructure development in South Africa, and 96% said it had a positive impact on Africa as a whole.Hosting the World Cup seems to have given South Africans a greater sense of social consciousness, with 81% of respondents saying that because of it they are more likely to become involved in charity and development work. “This mass social mobilisation presents an opportunity for government and developmental organisations to build on, and ensure the sustainability of, the many benefits of hosting the World Cup,” Umhlaba said.
Indian shuttlers H S Prannoy and B Sai Praneeth Monday claimed that administrative goof-ups by the Badminton Association of India have robbed them of participation at the Asia Badminton Championship, an allegation that the BAI refuted.India will be represented by Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma in men’s singles at the USD 400,000 event in Wuhan, China, commencing on Tuesday after the BAI allegedly did not confirm the entries of Prannoy and Praneeth to the organisers.”According to the process, Badminton Asia confederation sent the allocations informing who are the players who all have qualified from a country. All other countries like Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia have four entries even though Indonesia and Malaysian players are ranked way below me and Praneeth,” Prannoy told PTI.”So I enquired about the rules and came to know BAI didn’t reply to the e-mails confirming our entries,” added the 26-year-old, who had won a bronze at the last edition.The BAI, however, said in a statement that Badminton Asia asked for only two entries in men’s singles and it sent the names of Srikanth and Verma based on their world rankings.”Based on the e-mail received from Badminton Asia, we were asked to send names of two players each for Men Singles, Women’s Singles; three names each for Men’s and Women’s doubles and 4 players for mixed doubles. And the draw that was published based on the World Ranking of players dated week of February 26, 2019, mentioned Kidambi Srikanth (World Ranking 6) and Sameer Verma (World Ranking 11) in the main draw as per the ranking eligibility list published by Badminton Asia and the same was followed to send the players for the Championships,” the BAI said in a statement.advertisementPrannoy, who had been battling a gastroesophageal reflux disease since last year, has missed out on a lot of time.He was looking good in the last few weeks, having reached the quarterfinals at India Open, but now he won’t have the chance to defend his semifinal ranking points.”It happened in 2016 also. ABC was the last event for the Olympic race and me and Ajay Jayaram were also running for the Olympics. Then Kashyap and Srikanth got the entries, so that time also nobody told us. At that time also BAI didn’t confirm.”Last year we all played because the guy who send the entries, Abhijit, was doing everything correctly, now I don’t know what is happening, who is missing. The system is entirely messed up,” alleged the 26-year-old.”Next year ABC will come in the Tokyo qualification and if they mess it up again then I won’t be able to take it,” added a frustrated Prannoy.According to sources, the BAI did not send the entries of around 10 shuttlers, including top doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty, for the New Zealand Open (April 30 to May 5), which starts the Olympic qualification race.”Almost 10 entries have been missed even though players had sent their names before the deadline and they are not even apologising for it,” Prannoy claimed.Satwik had been nursing a shoulder injury and was missing in action this season. They had planned to start the year with the New Zealand Open but now they have decided to utilise the time playing international challenger events in Brazil and Denmark.”After we came to know that our entries were not sent we decided to play at Brazil and Denmark,” Chirag said.Prannoy also alleged that travelling for tournaments too have became difficult as the players mostly come to know about the ticket confirmation at the last moment.”The guys who is handling our entries, travelling, transporting is messing it up for the last five months since Abhijit quit BAI.”Ticketing is done at last moment. If we are travelling on Saturday, we are getting to know on that day itself and we are getting worse flights. Why can’t they confirm our tickets five days before,” asked Prannoy.He also claimed that they were stranded in Hong Kong during the Asia Mixed team championship, apparently, due to another goof-up by the BAI.”When we went to Hong Kong for ABC mixed team event, we were stranded at the airport for two hours. There was no transportation for us because BAI didn’t send the request to the organisers,” he said.”The BAI official sent in the transportation request for Hong Kong event in the form of Wuhan event (individual event). Can you imagine that?,” Prannoy said.Also Read | Ajinkya Rahane hits 1st Indian Premier League hundred in 7 yearsAlso Read | Asian Badminton Championships: Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu eye historic gold for India Also Seeadvertisement