Report: Sudanese man tests negative for avian flu

first_imgApr 20, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – Testing by the World Health Organization has failed to detect the H5N1 avian influenza virus in a Sudanese man suspected of having it, while China’s latest H5N1 patient has died, according to reports published today.Sudanese health officials reported 2 days ago that some chickens and the owner of an affected farm had avian flu. But a team of WHO experts tested a sample from the man and found no sign of the H5N1 virus, according to a Reuters report today that quoted WHO spokeswoman Maria Cheng. The report did not specify what kind of test was used.Sudan has not yet had any confirmed human H5N1 cases, though Egypt, its northern neighbor, has reported a dozen cases.Cheng said the farmer remained hospitalized in stable condition in Khartoum, and it was not clear what illness he has, Reuters reported. Cheng also said there were no other suspected human cases in the country.Meanwhile, the latest avian flu patient in China has died, according to another Reuters report, citing the Chinese news service Xinhua. The patient was a 21-year-old migrant worker who worked as a security guard in Wuhan, capital of the central province of Hubei. His case was the 17th reported in China, and he was the 12th patient to die.Xinhua said no illness had been reported among the man’s contacts, and there were no reports of flu outbreaks in poultry in his home town, Reuters reported.In the United Kingdom, authorities announced plans to lift restrictions imposed after H5N1 was detected 2 weeks ago in a swan found on the east coast of Scotland, BBC News reported today.A ban on the movement of poultry in a 3-kilometer protection zone around where the swan was found will be lifted Apr 22, the story said. Restrictions in a 6.2-kilometer surveillance zone will end May 1, provided veterinary inspectors find no cases in poultry in the zone.Meanwhile, one of Britain’s leading microbiologists, Hugh Pennington, said the 8 days it took to confirm H5N1 in the swan found at Cellardyke in Scotland was too long, according to the BBC. He said 3 days would have been “more acceptable.”In other developments, the Red Cross and affiliated relief agencies appealed today for $13.4 million (17.4 million Swiss francs) to help strengthen countries’ defenses against avian flu and the threat of pandemic flu.In a news release, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said governmental preparedness efforts may not provide enough help to vulnerable groups and communities, especially in west and central Africa.The federation said it is already responding to or preparing for avian flu in 26 countries, emphasizing preventing transmission of the virus from animals to humans.A key part of the federation’s effort will be to train “50,000 volunteers and staff members to respond to the specific nature of the crisis,” the statement said. The federation also promised to increase education efforts in communities and to pre-position relief supplies to deal with new outbreaks.In other news:Authorities in Pakistan ordered the slaughter of 15,000 chickens on a farm near Islamabad on suspicion of the country’s fourth poultry outbreak of H5N1 avian flu, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported today. An agricultural official said there was “very strong clinical evidence” of the virus. The disease was discovered on another chicken farm near Islamabad Apr 16, the report said.A Singapore Airlines plane was detained on landing in Copenhagen because of concern that a passenger had H5N1 avian flu, according to another AFP report. A medical team determined that the passenger, a 31-year-old Swedish woman, had only an upset stomach, the story said.See also:Apr 20 Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies news releasehttp://www.ifrc.org/docs/news/pr06/2706.asplast_img read more

Silva warns against complacency

first_imgManchester City playmaker David Silva is wary of arch-rivals Manchester United and accepts there is little room for error in the title race. Of those, the derby against fallen champions United at Old Trafford next Tuesday is starting to loom large. Attention will shift fully to that game after Saturday’s home clash with struggling Fulham and Silva admits City’s proven superiority over United this season could count for little on the night. The Spaniard said: “First thing, we have to think of Saturday, but a derby is a derby. “At the moment we are better but in any derby anything can happen. “So we just have to go out and win the matches. It’s a derby but the powers (in the city) don’t shift in derbies. “We have won (there) the last two years, and hopefully this will be the third one.” Silva also believes what happened to Chelsea last weekend should serve as a warning that City cannot afford any complacency in such a competitive league. And with Liverpool and Arsenal also still in contention for the title, any slip-ups could be seized upon by rivals. Silva said: “In this league every game is difficult and it’s important to keep your focus. “It happened to them (Chelsea) and it has happened to us – every game is difficult and anyone can beat anyone. “This is why you have to fight all the way to the end in every single match.” Silva, 28, was speaking at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire at a promotional event for the Anfi Group, a luxury holiday company based in his home of Gran Canaria, and of which he is an ambassador. He said: “I have special links because my mother worked for them and it’s the place where I grew up. “And it’s the place I always plan to go back to. I’m extremely proud to represent this company.” Silva’s immediate concern is the visit of Fulham at the weekend. The Premier League is now City’s sole objective after their recent exits from the FA Cup and Champions League. Silva said: “These next two games are important, but we have to go match by match. “All the matches now are like finals and we have to win them all. They are very important games for City now. “It’s a very good situation to be in, to have your destiny in your own hands. “Also it could play against us, but overall I think to be in the position where if we win all our matches we are champions is a good place to be. “We have to carry on now and use that to our advantage.” Silva scored a superb goal to set City on their way to a 2-0 victory with 10 men against Hull last weekend. Given the circumstances after Vincent Kompany was sent off, and coming after damaging losses to Wigan and Barcelona, it was a strike that might have provided momentum for the run-in. Silva said: “It was a good game for me, and it was a difficult game for us with 10 men. “We were able to turn it around and hopefully it’s the start of a good end to the season for us. “I hope we win the Premier League. Two trophies for (manager) Manuel Pellegrini in his first year would be a good year. “I thought we were slightly unlucky in the Champions League against Barcelona. Yes, the FA Cup was a big disappointment for us.” :: David Silva has renewed his position as ambassador for the Anfi Group, a luxury holiday company and one of the biggest employers in his home town of Arguineguin, Gran Canaria. City strengthened their status as favourites for the Barclays Premier League crown as they won at Hull last weekend while leaders Chelsea slipped up at Aston Villa. Those results left City trailing the Londoners by six points with three games in hand, but they still have a number of difficult fixtures among the 11 they have remaining. Press Associationlast_img read more

Icon Captain Cook Cruises celebrates 40th anniversary

first_imgSource = e-Travel Blackboard: R.M e-Travel Blackboard was honoured to be a guest last night at Captain Cook Cruises’ Ruby anniversary celebrations.Andrew Hayworth, Managing Director Sydney Harbour, welcomed guests, suppliers, staff past and present for an emotional trip down memory lane at a cocktail party aboard their vessel, Sydney 2000.Founded on Australia Day in 1970 Captain Trevor Haworth started the business operating five-dollar-a-head coffee cruises plying the beautiful Sydney harbour. Today Captain Cook Cruises operate 24 vessels in Sydney, the Murray River and in Fiji.Captain Haworth remarked “The Sea is at the heart of this business. It’s been a labour of love from the beginning and has all happened because of my darling wife Geraldine who over the years has supported me and the family. We also thank the banks, staff, tour operators, wholesalers and clients who have stood by us.We had numerous highlights from our early days of coffee and lunch cruises to the purchase of Matilda Cruises and the Pope’s visit. We have extended our business from day cruises to overnight and weekend cruises. Today we have over 400 employees, some who have served more than 30 years, many are here tonight.Captain Cook Cruises is privileged and proud to take Australia’s number one attraction, Sydney harbour, and package and present it to the world said Captain Haworth”Anthony Haworth said my father, Trevor, founder of this business had a passion and tonight our 40th Anniversary is real family event. Captain Haworth said we are immensely proud of Jackie, Anthony and Alison who are committed to developing the company. The family will guarantee the longevity of this hugely successful enterprise and carry on the family tradition.Nick Hortle CEO said Captain Cook Cruises have come through the financial crisis strongly and are well positioned to take advantage of the future. What the Haworth family have built over the years is truly as one of Australia’s great icons.Click here to view the photo from the night <a href=”https://sp2.img.hsyaolu.com.cn/wp-shlf1314/2032/IMG289.jpg” alt=”last_img” /> read more

House supports Rep Allor bill to link students to careers

first_img The House today approved a bill sponsored by state Rep. Sue Allor to connect skilled trade students with post-high school education programs and potential careers.“We’ve got open career opportunities right now in northern Michigan and this legislation is part of the solution to match those jobs with the right employees,” said Allor, of Wolverine. “We need to refine the career pathways for our students by working together and giving our community colleges, jobs training programs and other proprietary schools the needed information to create that connection.”Allor’s bill, which requires parental consent, gives training schools and skilled trade employers access to high school pupil directory information for the purposes of recruitment and professional development. Her legislation is part of a five-bill bipartisan package to enhance skilled trade education in Michigan’s public schools and assist students in matching their interests to career opportunities.The legislative package will:Create a K-12 model program that emphasizes career learning and themes for each grade level, while focusing on engaging with parents, community businesses and industry interests;Provide continuing education and professional development credit for teachers who spend time engaging with local employers and professional trade centers;Permit schools to more readily hire professional trade instructors to teach classes that align with their expertise.“This legislation provides the flexibility to better emphasize skilled trades in the local school districts then let the kids and their parents decide,” Allor said. “From there, it’s just communicating between the families and career training programs to see what’s best for the student’s future.”The legislative package advances to the Senate for its consideration.##### 13Dec House supports Rep. Allor bill to link students to careers Categories: Allor News,Newslast_img read more

The BBC World Service will receive a £5 million €

last_img

The HbbTV Association has released its DASH DRM Re

last_img

Revolutionary Heart in a Box transplantees hope for a bright future this

last_img

Use of buprenorphine to treat opioid addiction proliferates in California

last_img

Tesla Model 3 buyers lose patience and maybe tax credits

last_img

Robot 3D prints replacement bracket on headlamp

last_img